Wednesday, October 16, 2013

101513 Earthquake



“Unsa ron?”
“Ngano ni?”
“What shall we do?”

Those are the phrases I uttered (as far as I could remember) in the office when the earthquake shaken Visayas with a magnitude of 7.2 where the epicenter is located in Bohol, Philippines. 

After uttering those phrases, I stood up grabbing my phone with earphones attached. After a couple of steps, I realized that I need to bring some stuff. I stepped back and grabbed my bag and ran. I admit that I really panicked. I could still recall the previous and similar incident, last February 6, 2012 which devastated my home province of Negros Oriental. I know it was not a good move - running. As we learned, we only need to walk fast and with care. Yeah, I ran but with care (at a minimum). When I reached the main door of our office, I saw someone pointing at the crack on the ceiling. Who would not panic more? I bumped the glass door with my right shoulder. I did not feel any pain, at all – adrenaline rush. I heard the door swinging when I passed through it. I was very worried already – for myself, my sister who was in the apartment at that time, my parents in the province. I was shaking when I got out of the building. My hands were sweating. I tried to contact my loved ones – my sister and parents but got disconnected. Telecommunication networks were down. I was worried more especially for my sister because she was alone in our room. I knew that I would not settle unless I could verify the situation of my family. 

We were trying to ease our emotions by talking about funny stuff we made or seen as we moved out of the building – me bumping the glass door, others not bringing anything, running out in slippers, leaving their cellphones, wallets and alike.

After few call attempts, I was able to talk to my mother. Thank God, they were fine! She urged me to check my sister and possibly go home immediately. I could not go home yet because I knew that it was traffic. I wanted to ensure that everything is settled, at least, before I leave the area. With few call attempts again, I was able to talk to my sister. She was fine and safe but scared. I could hear through her voice that she was very worried. She wanted me to go home immediately. I knew that she was fine, but she needed my protection as the big sister. I assured her that I would be home the soonest however I needed to wait for the office announcement. We communicated through text messages and kept on assuring her that I would be home soon. Since it was almost lunch time, I urged her to go upstairs and get something to eat. By the way, we are staying in the third floor of the 3-storey apartment. I guess, that will explain my sister’s worries.

I reached home around 1PM. Aftershocks were felt. We heard our door banging. My sister kept it that way though as an indication of aftershocks and the water in the gallon that moved when the building moved. I could feel my tummy crunched every time the building moved. As it stopped, I ate lunch. Yes, it was a very late lunch. I then slept but awaken by my sister’s noise when the building moved again. I asked her not to do that noise again as it would scare me too. We prepared the stuff we may need in case we would move out of the room and the building - only the important things plus food and water. We were kind of paranoid already when aftershocks occurred. We left our room around 9PM to stay downstairs. We stayed in the receiving area and agreed to stay there for the entire night. The care taker offered us the bamboo sofa for us to sleep on, the least. However, he also offered the other room which is occupied by the owner’s niece who was not there that time. We refused at first but he insisted because it was not good to let us stay outside especially that we were women. We agreed with him and took the offer. In short, we stayed in that room for the entire night but half asleep. We were trying to be alert every time aftershocks occurred. We moved out the room around 4AM this morning. We stayed in our room upstairs and again, we kept on monitoring the occurrence of aftershocks through the banging of the door and movement of water in the gallon. Paranoid but reasonable, I believe.

Siszy, trying to smile and our bags with our important belongings.

The bamboo sofa
Flashlight attached to my ID sling to carry with ease.

Gallon of water - aftershocks indicator
No food to eat. No more canned goods, noodles and alike. We needed to get some so we went out for grocery. If only we had food, I should have stayed home. I was not feeling well because I did not have enough sleep last night. But that was the only choice we had – to buy food. While we were out, I could feel that I was dizzy. We hurried so we would be home before lunch time. My sister was clinging to me the entire time we were in the grocery store. I know that she was still afraid and very tired too. As we travelled back to our apartment, we saw groups of people outside the building. I could say that they were employees staying in tall buildings. Rest assured that aftershocks occurred again. We did not notice it, maybe because we were moving. 

We ate our lunch when we reached home. I slept after that and woke up around 5PM, which means, I slept for about 4 hours. I was very tired. My sister said that she heard the door was banging again while we were sleeping. She looked at me but I only moved then stayed back. So she just went back to sleep. She was tired of it already. Her energy was drained, just like mine.

Grocery items
 I am praying that aftershocks will stop the soonest possible. Let us pray together.

"A guide to the blue journey - a relaxing, peaceful, blissful, healthy and honorable life." -TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment